[OR_Archaeology] TAC features experimental archaeology of an ancient gun

Meara Butler meara.butler at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 09:11:27 PDT 2010

Friends and colleagues: Technological innovation has driven a great many
cultural changes with then-unforeseen consequences.  A prime example is the
introduction of firearms to Europe in the 14th Century, the fascinating
topic of *The Otepää Gonne*, the latest video feature on our nonprofit
streaming-media Web site, *The Archaeology Channel* (
http://www.archaeologychannel.org).

In 1995, Estonian archaeologist Osvald Saadre found in Otepää Fortress a
room containing pieces of bronze.  These pieces were parts of the oldest
Estonian firearm, dating back to the late 14th Century.  This documentary
follows the course of an experimental archaeology project, as archaeologist
Jaak Mäll works to reconstruct a functional copy of the Otepää gonne (gun),
remaining as faithful as possible to the gunsmithing techniques of the
period and to conducting test-firings using gunpowder made in accordance
with the formulas and methods of the time.

This and other programs are available on TAC for your use and enjoyment.  We
urge you to support this public service by participating in our Membership (
http://www.archaeologychannel.org/member.html) and Underwriting (
http://www.archaeologychannel.org/sponsor.shtml) programs.  Only with your
help can we continue and enhance our nonprofit public-education and
visitor-supported programming.  We also welcome new content partners as we
reach out to the world community.

Please forward this message to others who may be interested.

 Richard M. Pettigrew, Ph.D., RPA
President and Executive Director
Archaeological Legacy Institute
http://www.archaeologychannel.org

Meara Butler

Archaeological Legacy Institute List Serve Coordinator