[OR_Archaeology] Request for papers; Civil Rights in Oregon, from your perspective

Susan White susan.white at state.or.us
Tue Dec 7 14:52:31 PST 2010

(Brad Avakian has expressed particular interest in submissions from
members of Oregon's Tribes and Indian communities.)

To Aspiring Writers Who Have a Personal Story to Tell

Civil Rights in Oregon, From Your Perspective
www.mycivilrightsstory.net

My Civil Rights Story is a project to document the historic and present
day civil rights struggles experienced by our diverse Oregon
communities, and I’d like you to be a part of it. Over the next few
months, I will be collecting stories from Oregonians and their families
recounting their personal civil rights experiences. Together, we will
illustrate the progress - and sometimes regress - of civil rights from
those who shared the experience themselves.

Selected stories will be published in a book documenting the
experiences of Oregonians and their families from their own personal
account. While I will provide an introduction and conclusion to the
book, generally discussing Oregon’s civil rights history and themes,
your stories will tell the real Oregon story.

I encourage you to write about your, or your family’s, experiences
living and working in Oregon. Some stories will illustrate hard fought,
and sometimes tragic, battles for equality. Others may portray the
efforts leading to leaps forward in the progress of civil rights. Some
may reflect the personal, quiet toughness of people doing what they must
to survive in a culture that was not yet willing to recognize them
fully. Whatever your story is, I am interested in hearing it.

Stories must be received by February 14, 2011. Some stories will be
selected for publication in the book. Other submissions will be
presented on a website for all to read. You can go to the website above
for suggestions on how to write and submit your story.

Please send your submissions to either:
My Civil Rights Story
brad at mycivilrightsstory.net
or
17915 NW Lonerock Drive
Portland, OR 97229

I look forward to working with you on this reflection of civil rights
in
Oregon.  ~ Brad Avakian