[OR_Archaeology] Heritage Excellence Award nominations due Jan 14

Susan White susan.white at state.or.us
Mon Dec 13 16:42:24 PST 2010

HERITAGE EXCELLENCE AWARDS NOMINATIONS AVAILABLE

You are invited to submit nominations of archaeologists, archaeological organizations, archaeological projects and other outstanding heritage efforts for Oregon Heritage Excellence Awards. More than two dozen awards have been given during the past for years recognizing excellence on behalf of Oregon's heritage. The Oregon Heritage Commission and State Historic Preservation Office will recognize individuals, businesses and organizations for such outstanding efforts with an Oregon Heritage Excellence Award in 2011.

Nominations are encouraged for exceptional and meritorious work; special consideration is given to the development of new ideas, approaches and innovations in heritage-related activities. The Oregon Heritage Excellence Awards are also intended to honor those who have made the most from available resources and skills.

Award nominations should be postmarked no later than Jan. 14. A complete nomination package, which includes an application and other supporting material, is available at http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/HCD/OHC/award_info.shtml . The site also
lists previous Heritage Excellence Award recipients.

The 2011 Oregon Heritage Excellence Awards will be presented April 8 at the Oregon Heritage Conference in Astoria.

Take time to nominate an outstanding individual, business or organization for an Oregon Heritage Excellence Award.  See
http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/HCD/OHC/award_info.shtml for details.

Kyle Jansson, Coordinator
Oregon Heritage Commission
725 Summer St. NE, Suite C
Salem, OR 97301-1266
(503) 986-0673
FAX (503) 986-0793
kyle.jansson at state.or.us

>>> Susan White 12/13/2010 3:43 PM >>>
Kyle,

Would it be possible to forward an edited version of this "call to a...wards" to the Archaeology listserv before I go? I'm hoping some of the consultants and/or agency archys would take advantage of this opportunity to recognize stewardship. Just let me know, thanks! Susan

>>> Kyle Jansson 12/13/2010 2:26 PM >>>
Fellow OPRD Staff:

Every year, the Heritage Excellence Awards presentation is a highlight of the Oregon Heritage Conference. It's inspiring to see what people from around the state, both professionals and volunteers, have accomplished in support of Oregon heritage.

The awards are also one of the few ways that we can recognize in a special way the people, organizations, projects and businesses that make major contributions to Oregon heritage efforts in archaeology, history, preservation, archives, community development, and other arenas. The awardees are publicized and it brings them and Oregon heritage positive recognition across the state. (You can see a list of the previous awardees and nomination guidelines at http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/HCD/OHC/award_info.shtml  )

Are there folks that you know who should be nominated for their work? A preservation project? An overachieving nonprofit? Please let me know if you know of a potential nominee. (I can give you some perspective on the chance of a successful nomination, and tips in presenting nominations.) Then, if you could help stir up a nomination, that would be wonderful. The deadline is just a month away, so please act now.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kyle

kyle.jansson at state.or.us