[ORMAP-Tech] metadata standards for goal2 taxlots - A context

Anderson, Dean anderson.dean at co.polk.or.us
Wed Mar 27 10:43:34 PDT 2013

Had a couple of questions about this yesterday (based on my earlier
e-mail).  So I hope the following will provide some context...

1. What is a Metadata ?

Metadata is a data that describes your data and is usually contained in a
metadata file which is  associated with your geographic data layer (ie.
ORMAP shapefile). The file contains documentation in a standard format that
describes you data.  Metadata  include stuff like an abstract that
describes the data layer, its geographic extent, projection/coordinate
system, attribute/field descriptions, and contact information.    This is
usually important information for users but pretty boring to create and
maintain.  Fortunately, many software products such as ESRI's ArcMap have
simple semi-automated tools to do this. One of the Metadata standards is
documented and supported by the feds (FGDC) see link below.

Link: http://www.fgdc.gov/metadata

2. So what does ORMAP do with Metadata?

The ORMAP Cadastral Exchange Standard (that is a description of our ORMAP
GOAL2 deliverable) makes a short reference  to METADATA as part of our
deliverable.  Unfortunately, no state metadata standard exists at this time
so meeting this requirment is pretty loose.   Several counties have
informally created their own metadata structure and these are sometimes
shared and modified as folks become interested in Metadata.

Cadastral Standard Description - Link:

http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/CIO/GEO/fit/cadastral/docs/CadastralStandard_v3_OGICendorsed.pdf

3. So if ORMAP and the State treat Metadata more like a loose guideline -
why should we care?

I am working with a group of counties to "Publish" our Goal 2 shape files
as "web services" so that we can share them between counties. In addition,
other organizations can also insert my data as a web service into their
applications.  (There are lots of cool reasons to  publish your taxlot data
as a service  that I would be happy to rant about, but that goes beyond
this discussion.)  In summary, I think having a consistent metadata
standard that we all use would do three things.

a. Reduce my work load because it will be an easy starting point for
creating my taxlot metdaata file. If I can copy a "state" metadata template
and tweek it to include my disclaimer, extent and contact stuff will be
easier then starting from scratch.

b. Having a metadata standard will help avoid confusion to our users.  They
can quickly and easily see that our Goal 2 data layers are consistent
across a region AND can quickly see any differences in data availability.
For example, if I choose not to include owner names in my shape file, my
metadata should say this and the user will not have to struggle to figure
out why owner names appear in one county and not another county.

c. Coming up with a standard means I will not have to recreate my metadata
at some point in the future after a standard is agreed upon.

4.  So what is the plan?

I would like to discuss this issue at our upcoming technical ORMAP meeting.
It would be great to make a decision about this as a large group.

Thanks for your interest in this topic.

----

Dean R Anderson
IT Director