[OSMB-News] News Release -New Marine Board Director Takes the Helm

Ashley Massey ashley.massey at state.or.us
Mon May 24 14:27:51 PDT 2010

For Immediate Release	Date:  Monday, May 24, 2010

New Marine Board Director Takes the Helm

When you mention recreational boating and water, Scott Brewen, the Marine Board’s new director’s eyes light up and he’s eager to share some of his boating experiences that range from family cruises in his sailboat, to his time in Maritime law enforcement.

Boating is second nature to the Coast Guard Academy graduate, who started boating as a youth and fell in love with the water.  After high school, Brewen was accepted into the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, where he learned how to operate everything from a 2-person sailboat to actually working aboard operational Coast Guard vessels.  After graduating with a Bachelor’s of Science degree in math and computer science from the Coast Guard Academy, he began his career that included three ships and one training command.  In addition to his training and education with the Coast Guard, Brewen also pursued –and obtained his 1600 ton Master and Unlimited tonnage Chief Mates licenses.

After leaving the Coast Guard, Brewen began a new career in state service while also earning a Master’s degree from Portland State University in Business Administration (MBA).  Brewen worked in public safety training at the Department of Public Safety Standards and Training (DPSST) and later moved to the Department of Corrections. Brewen left his position as the Chief Administrator of the Human Resources Division for the Department of Corrections to become the Marine Board’s next Director.

“I’m excited to be at the Marine Board,” says Brewen.  “Building relationships based on trust and an open dialog are essential.  I’m looking forward to getting boating safety partners and boaters of all kinds to the table to create a broader vision for the agency.”

Brewen officially started as Marine Director on May 17, 2010.  “I have a lot to learn,” Brewen admits.  “But this agency was built on a great foundation and there are a lot of incredible resources inside the agency to help me grow into this new role.”
###

Ashley A. Massey
Public Information Officer
Oregon State Marine Board
503-378-2623
503-378-8587 ext. 82623
ashley.massey at state.or.us
www.boatoregon.com
www.twitter.com/marineboard

"You can prevent the spread of aquatic invaders...just Clean, Drain and Dry your boat!"