OSPS E-News ~ Effects of New Tax Tables

Tue Mar 24 10:27:54 PDT 2009

Effective with March Run 1, OSPA will use new tax tables released by the
IRS as part of the economic stimulus "Making Work Pay".   It has been a
while since we have had a mid-year change in tax tables and we'd like to
remind you of the affects of that kind of change.

When you set correctives for pay periods prior to PPE 3/31/09 you will
see a change to the tax withholding.  In this case, the employee will
most likely have less tax withheld and the system will want to pay out
the difference in net pay.  Open sets for PPE  January and February are
subject to these changes if you set the system to recalculate those
sets.

Please understand that loading the new tax tables is mandatory.
Correctives that you set are being brought forward to a period in time
AFTER the tax withholding tables have changed.  Therefore, they are
subject to the changes.   If this seems problematic, you may wish to
explore the option of making your adjustments in current month instead
of setting correctives.

In the case of correctives set for an employee who has separated, you
may adjust with P060 transactions.  Please request these in writing to
OSPS Help.  That option would not be appropriate for a current employee.

Sharon McKeehan, Manager

Oregon Statewide Payroll Services

DAS/State Controller's Division

155 Cottage Street NE,  U-50