OSPS E-News ~ Ordering Manual Checks Notice

Tue May 12 07:57:43 PDT 2009

Hello Everyone,

Manual Check Processing Challenges
OSPS needs to address user transactions that frequently challenge our daily production of manual check batches.  Our goal is to eliminate these challenges to ensure timely and successful manual check production for all agencies.   Specifically, this communication is about manual checks ordered for a closed pay period and the associated problems that occur when a corrective flag isn't set for the closed pay period.

Action Plan For Improvement
Our plan is to first address this across all of our users to ensure that everyone is clear on the process.  Part two of the process will be to address this with specific system users and provide special training, if needed.  Part three will be to implement the rejection of check requests that create batch processing errors.  In that case, the submitting agency  will need to correct the transactions and re-submit the check request on the next business day.

Ordering A Manual Check - Important Processing Steps
Ordering a manual check is actually an off-cycle payroll calculation.  The requester must ensure that the transaction is properly entered and staged so that OSPA can make the requested calculation and produce the payment.   Equally important is that OSPA must be able to include the manual check PPNN transaction the next time payroll is processed.

When you order a manual check for a closed pay period, you must set a corrective flag for the closed period so that OSPA can make the calculation that you have requested.  The system needs the corrective flag set so that the transaction will calculate during the next regular production cycle.   A pay period is closed at 6:00 p.m. on the night of final cutoff for run 2.  Final cutoffs are noted on the OSPS Processing Calendar.  We are finding that during the time period between final cutoff and pay day, setting the corrective flag is often forgotten.

Resources for Success
OSPS Processing Calendar: http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/SCD/OSPS/docs/processtools/2009cal.pdf
Recommended Practice - Manual Checks
http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/SCD/OSPS/docs/pubs/practice/practicechecksmanual.pdf
Manual Check Guidelines:
http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/SCD/OSPS/services.shtml#Manual_Payroll_Checks <http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/SCD/OSPS/services.shtml>

Partnership That Supports Success
Our part in this process is to provide the manual checks that you need to ensure timely and accurate pay for your agency employees.  Your part is to request and stage the transactions correctly in OSPA so that we can provide the services that you request.

Thank you for your attention and assistance.

Oregon Statewide Payroll Services Staff
DAS State Controller's Division
Phone:  (503)378-6777     Fax:  (503)378-3518
OSPS Help Desk:  mailto:OSPS.Help at das.state.or.us

Visit Our Web Pages: http://oregon.gov/DAS/SCD/OSPS