OSPS E-News ~ OSPS Project Update - Checks and Pay Statements

Tue Feb 22 07:51:16 PST 2011

OSPS Project Update - Display Changes to Direct Deposit Statements and
Paychecks

Effective with February Run 1 payroll, we will implement changes to
payroll documents resulting from the recent updates to the state's
personnel system PPDB.  The E-PPDB project expanded name fields and
added a field for state e-mail address.

Expanded Name Fields

While OSPA cannot receive the expanded name to populate screens, we can
take advantage of the change in PPDB by creating a crosswalk to our
payroll and W-2 documents. The key change is that names will now be
formatted as first name, middle initial, last name, suffix. Previously
the format was last name, first name middle name, suffix.  We will use
whatever is in the first name field (all 20 characters), the first
letter (if any) of the middle name, all of the last name (30 characters)
and the suffix (if any).

OSPA will use legal names as entered into the state HR system.  State
employees with long or compound names will see a positive change with
more of their names displayed on output documents.  Employees who use
their middle name instead of their first name will notice a change in
that paychecks will be made payable to them using their legal first name
and their middle initial.  Previously, checks displayed both the first
and middle names.   Here are some examples.

As displayed on OSPA screens and previously on direct deposit statements
and paychecks

Changed display on direct deposit statements and paychecks

Smith, Polly A

Polly A Smith

Smith, Polly Ann

Polly A Smith

Jones, Frank J Jr

Frank J Jones Jr

Jones, Frank Joseph Jr

Frank J Jones Jr

Smith Jones, Mary Ann (Mary Ann is first name)

Mary Ann Smith Jones

Smith Jones, Mary Ann Jean (with middle name)

Mary Ann J Smith Jones

 The size of the window envelope used for payroll documents also affects
the name display. In order to maximize the space, we have moved the Crew
Unit from the right hand side to the top of the name.

Before:            Smith, Polly A                         1209

                        Address 1

                        Address 2

                        City/State/Zip

 After:               1209

Polly A Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Address 1

Address 2 (if there is one)

City/State/Zip

We will be able to use the expanded address fields so that many
addresses that previously required two lines will fit on one line.

E-Mail Address

State E-Mail Address is one of the new fields added to the employees'
PPDB record. The initial population of this field with the E-PPDB Phase
one implementation was accomplished by loading the state email address
currently in the iLearn system and from spreadsheets provided by the
agencies.

Since there is no statewide automated process to continually update the
State email address, agency HR offices are responsible to enter or
update this field as employees are appointed or transferred from one
agency to another.

HR Systems inquired if there was additional space on the check stub if
the employee's state email address could also be added. This would give
the employee the opportunity to not only verify that their name and
addresses are correct on the check stub but to also verify their state
email address and report any discrepancies to their agency HR office.

Maintaining accurate information in the PPDB system ensures accuracy in
the many other systems that rely on information from the PPDB system
such as payroll, PERS and PEBB.

OSPS believed that this was a worthwhile project and wished to
participate on a cooperative basis with PPDB to help them build a
functional database of e-mail addresses.

Oregon Statewide Payroll Services

DAS/State Controller's Division

155 Cottage Street NE,  U-50

Salem, OR  97301-3969

(503) 378-6777 ext. 230

Visit our Online Resource Center: http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/SCD/OSPS/
<http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/SCD/OSPS/>

How are we doing?

Please complete our customer service survey:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SCD_Feedback
<http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SCD_Feedback>

Your opinion matters

Thank You!