OSPS E-News ~ Follow-up on SFMA and OSPA Datamart Issues

Fri Mar 1 16:37:23 PST 2013

Hello Payroll Professionals,

Please see the forwarded message below regarding the Datamart.  Thank you for your attention.

Oregon Statewide Payroll Services
Financial Business Systems
Enterprise Goods and Services
Department of Administrative Services
503-378-6777 opt 0

Online Resource Center:  http://oregon.gov/DAS/EGS/FBS/OSPS/

Data Classification: Level 2-Limited

From: sfms-news-bounces at listsmart.osl.state.or.us [mailto:sfms-news-bounces at listsmart.osl.state.or.us] On Behalf Of JUNGLING Christie * EGS
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2013 4:01 PM
To: 'sfms-news at listsmart.osl.state.or.us'
Subject: [SFMS-News] Follow-up on SFMA and OSPA Datamart Issues

Hello, everyone.

Earlier this afternoon we received reports from several agencies that Datamart users were receiving SQL error message -968 when they attempted to run queries against both OSPA and SFMA Datamart tables. The error messages read, "The file system is full" and "The current transaction was rolled back because of error -968."

These error messages are generated when the temporary work area space on the Datamart server runs out of room. This is most likely caused by a poorly written query.  These errors may happen intermittently because a timer periodically flushes the temp space so it can be reused for new queries.  But once the bad query runs again, the space becomes full and the errors reoccur.

The SDC has added 10 Gb of space to the temp work area, which may provide some immediate relief.  However, this will not fix the problem as long as one or more bad queries are being attempted.  Unfortunately, we do not currently have tools available to us to identify the bad SQL on our end, so we must rely on users to do so.

This is where we need your help.  Please check your queries to ensure that missing parameters or bad joins are not causing a "runaway" situation.  Since the problem began late yesterday, the culprit is most likely a new query, or one that was modified yesterday.

We appreciate your assistance in resolving this situation.  Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Regards,

Christie L Jungling, Manager
SFMS Systems Management Unit and Centralized PERS Services Team
DAS Enterprise Goods and Services - Financial Business Systems
Phone: (503) 373-0258

Visit our Web site:
http://oregon.gov/DAS/EGS/FBS/SFMS/Pages/index.aspx<http://www.das.state.or.us/DAS/EGS/FBS/SFMS/Pages/index.aspx>

Data Classification: Level 2 - Limited