OSPS E-News ~ FW: Oregon Form OR-W-4

Thu Dec 20 14:49:58 PST 2018

Payroll Professionals,

I received the email below about Oregon's own W-4 form for state income tax withholding and wanted to get this out to the payroll community.  I have someone on my team who will be learning as much as possible about this form and the impact it will have to agencies and to my team centrally.

This will be a topic at the January forum and we will provide as much information as we can at that time.  If you call the Help Desk before January forum (scheduled for January 16th) they will not be able to provide any answers.

However DAS OSPS' guidance would be similar to other questions related to personal income tax...call the Department of Revenue or consult with a tax advisor.

Again this is a new form and my team will be developing talking points for this at the January forum.  The intention of this email is to provide a heads up of this new form and to pass along some general guidance for when employees start calling payroll offices with questions.

Thanks,

Seth Lewis
Manager
DAS/EGS/FBS/Oregon Statewide Payroll Services
503-373-0198, direct
503-378-3518, fax
503-378-6777, OSPS Help Desk
seth.lewis at oregon.gov<mailto:seth.lewis at oregon.gov>
Visit Our Online Resource Center:  State of Oregon: Oregon Statewide Payroll Services<http://www.oregon.gov/das/Financial/Payroll/Pages/Index.aspx>

From: Oregon W-4 Project * DOR
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2018 11:07 AM
To: Oregon W-4 Project * DOR <Oregon.W-4Project at oregon.gov>
Subject: Oregon Form OR-W-4

Dear Oregon employer,

Federal tax law changes, including how withholding allowances are calculated, mean that some Oregonians haven't been withholding enough from their paychecks to cover their state personal income tax liabilities.

Oregon now has its own W-4 for state income tax withholding. Form OR-W-4 will allow employees to determine their correct Oregon withholding. We are asking employers to provide Form OR-W-4 to their employees anytime federal Form W-4 is provided. This replaces the federal Form W-4 with "For Oregon Only" written on top as the preferred method for documenting state income tax withholding designations.

An electronic version of Form OR-W-4 is attached. You can also download and print the form at www.oregon.gov/dor/forms<http://www.oregon.gov/dor/forms>, or order online and we'll mail it to you.

Visit www.oregon.gov/dor<http://www.oregon.gov/dor> for more information.

Please do not respond to this email, as it is not a monitored email address.