OSPS E-News ~ Completing compensation related actions for previous pay periods during payroll run (and payroll January Run 2 delay message below)

Announcements from OSPS to the users of the Oregon State Payroll Application osps-news at omls.oregon.gov
Thu Feb 9 15:13:21 PST 2023

Good morning HR & Payroll Professionals,

We wanted to send a special message to help address some confusion that appears to be out there.  We really don't want to discourage things from being completed in Workday, more to caution folks on the particular day it is running.  We are looking at changing our messaging going forward to help reduce confusion if at all possible.  Here is the language we used for January Run 1:

January Run 1 Payroll is Processing Today! Please refrain from entering transactions in Workday that will affect pay for a worker, such as a comp change, allowance change, or agency transfer during with effective dates January 2023 or earlier, during our processing window. This is a great time to focus on future month transactions and non-pay impacting changes. For those employees who do have completed entries on payroll processing days that are pay impacting, you will want to audit these transactions after run 1 to be sure the data was picked up and processed as expected. The HCM | Employee Events by Selection Report will provide you a list of tasks completed by selecting 1/26/23 as the completed on or after date. Thank you for your continued partnership, Workday Oregon Team I hope that helps, let me know if you have additional questions or need additional assistance. Thanks!

We are changing the message that will post during payroll runs to be:

The Payroll Run process currently takes approximately 14 hours and multiple steps. This is a great time to focus on future month transactions and non-pay impacting changes. In Workday we do want to keep important actions processing for employees as much as possible. So we want to encourage employees, managers and HR to complete their tasks as much as we can. However, it is important to know that if an action does complete today that will affect pay for a worker, such as a comp change, allowance change, or agency transfer with effective dates in XXX 2023 or earlier, there is a chance it may not process correctly (as their are multiple steps to the Payroll Run process). To help make sure actions completed on this day processed correctly, we recommend the agencies audit transactions after run 2 completes to be sure the data was picked up and processed as expected.

The HCM | Employee Events by Selection Report will provide you a list of tasks completed by selecting XXX as the completed on or after date.

We don't want to discourage anyone from getting HR actions into Workday.  We did lock out people the first time to be safe, but going forward our recommendation is that agencies do anything they can to complete compensation related actions prior to the payroll run they are effective if at all possible and if any do complete in the middle of payroll run they be double checked to make sure they don't need any recalculations to occur.

Please see the below updates on timelines sent to the Payroll listserve.

Our apologies for any confusion,

Twyla, Seth & Jason
Workday HCM & Workday Payroll & Time Tracking Teams