OSPS E-News ~ Notice: Correction to Overtime Calculation

Announcements from OSPS to the users of the Oregon State Payroll Application osps-news at omls.oregon.gov
Wed Mar 15 11:15:29 PDT 2023

Dear Payroll Partner:
We wanted to alert you to a potential correction that may appear on some payslips for employees who will receive March 15, 2023 (mid-month) paychecks. A fix was inadvertently implemented prematurely, related to an incorrect overtime rate being used to calculate overtime pay. This means that the fix was implemented before the Department of Administrative Services (DAS) could provide enough advance notice to payroll partners and employees receiving mid-month checks.
What you need to know

  *   DAS discovered that an incorrect FLSA rate was being used to calculate overtime pay for hours worked between January 1 and February 28, 2023.
  *   A fix to correct the overtime calculation was implemented prematurely during the February run two paid on March 15, 2023. The fix reversed what was originally paid and recalculated the amount to pay hours and wages at the correct rate for overtime worked between January 1 and February 28, 2023.
  *   Payroll partners can go into Workday>Pay Results to see the details of the changes to overtime because of this corrected overtime calculation. (Please see the example below from pay results)
  *   We are notifying every overtime-eligible employee who is receiving a March 15, 2023, check to look for this correction on their payslip. Attached is the email we plan to send to employees.
Example of the correction in Pay Results:
[cid:image001.png at 01D9572F.6CA2D370][cid:image002.png at 01D9572F.6CA2D370]
What employees need to know

  *   Employees who worked overtime between January 1 and February 28, 2023, may see a minor difference in their paycheck amount (likely in the low dollars or cents range).
  *   Employees who retroactively entered overtime during the above date range may see a larger correction.
  *   Overtime-eligible employees who are not receiving a mid-month paycheck on March 15 may see this correction on their April 1 paycheck.
  *   A line item called, "Overtime - 1.5 FLSA" may appear on your March 15 pay slip. This figure includes the new calculation for overtime worked using the correct rate. Below is an example of what employees may see on their payslip.
Example employee will see on payslip:
[cid:image003.png at 01D9572F.6CA2D370]

As you likely know, DAS has escalated our response to "mission critical" by bringing on board a highly specialized response team to help stabilize Workday and improve communications. We know this is frustrating and unexpected. We are making progress and seeing far fewer system issues than before. We knew there would be challenges, but it has been difficult to predict how system fixes create other issues.

We are committed to providing as much advance notice as possible to payroll partners about future corrections that will impact employees. Thank you for your continued patience, and for all you are doing for every employee you serve.

Also, we are uploading the list of employees to the Workday Drive with this file name "OT Calculation Fix List " at this location: [WD Drive > Payroll Partner Resources>March 2023> OT Calculation Fix List]. The attached PDF is the message that will be going out to effected employees.

Note: Legislature, ODOT, and Judicial are the exception to this and they will communicate with their own staff on this situation.

Regards,

DAS Payroll and Time Tracking Team