[Pupiltransportation] 2014 NASDPTS Illegal Passing Survey Results

pupiltransportation at listsmart.osl.state.or.us pupiltransportation at listsmart.osl.state.or.us
Wed Aug 13 11:22:50 PDT 2014

Attached to this message is a press release announcing the results from this year's illegal passing survey.  We appreciate the participation of school bus operators, school districts, contractors, state associations, and state directors and their staff.  Your combined efforts in this fourth annual survey were critical to our continued efforts to mitigate these unacceptable violations by motorists and reduce the threat they pose to the safety of school bus riders.

In 29 states throughout the country, school bus drivers recorded in a one-day snapshot how many times other motorists passed their school buses illegally while the buses were stopped displaying their flashing red lights and stop arms. Over 97,000 school bus drivers reported that 75,966 vehicles passed their buses illegally on a single day. Throughout a 180-day school year, these sample results alone point to over 13 million violations by private motorists.  This is truly a dangerous situation and we all share the responsibility to do all we can to help eliminate this threat to the students riding our school buses.

Again, 'thank you' to the 29 states that participated in the survey this year.  Please direct any media inquiries about the project to the attention of Charlie Hood, NASDPTS Executive Director, at ExecDir at nasdpts.org<mailto:ExecDir at nasdpts.org<mailto:ExecDir at nasdpts.org<mailto:ExecDir at nasdpts.org>>

For complete information on the project, contact North Carolina State Director Derek Graham (Derek.Graham at dpi.nc.gov<mailto:Derek.Graham at dpi.nc.gov<mailto:Derek.Graham at dpi.nc.gov<mailto:Derek.Graham at dpi.nc.gov>>) or NASDPTS Executive Director Charlie Hood.