[R2R-OR] 2009-2010 Ready to Read Report and Outstanding Projects

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Wed Jan 26 08:43:19 PST 2011

The 2009-2010 Ready to Read Annual Report is now available at: http://www.oregon.gov/OSL/LD/youthsvcs/aboutready.shtml

Congratulations to the Outstanding Ready to Read projects of 2009-2010
•         Cedar Mill Community Library
•         Douglas County Library System
•         Eugene Public Library
•         Lake County Library District
•         Stayton Public Library.

This year as I was reviewing your Final Reports the following projects really stuck out in my mind and I thought they may be of interest to other libraries:

Book Art: Cedar Mill Community Library
A select number of in-home childcare sites received 4 pictures with instructions and supplies for an age-appropriate art experience based on the stories in the books.  Outreach volunteers read the books at the participating childcare sites and children created art corresponding art projects.  Examples of the artwork with the children’s comments were displayed at the library.  The children were given special invitations to share with families and friends for an “Opening Night” event at the library.

Baby Showers: Lake County Library District and Klamath County Library
In partnership with the local Public Health Office and pediatricians, invitations to a baby shower at the libraries were sent to new parents.  Local businesses and organizations donated refreshments and baby-related gifts such as bibs, blankets, and toys to giveaway to parents at the baby shower.  The libraries, both Reading for Healthy Families participants, had “a captive audience to spread the early literacy message!”

Big Rig Summer Reading Kick-Off: St. Helen’s Public Library
“When families came to see the 17 different rigs, we gave them a voucher for a free hardhat to be redeemed inside the library.  The line streamed out the front door of the library and our door count… was double for a typical day!  We were able to sign-up participants that had not been in the library before”

Other interesting items from your Ready to Read reports:
Several libraries described successful partnerships with schools/teachers that brought teen parenting classes (parents with their babies!) to the library, and many libraries reported that circulation of Oregon Battle of the Books titles was very high during the summer reading program.

Thank you all for the wonderful library youth services you provide your communities!

Katie Anderson