[R2R-OR] Q and A: How do I know participants achieved the outcomes?

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Fri Nov 14 13:50:14 PST 2014

Hi! As you know, 2014 Ready to Read final reports are due December 1, 2014. Attached is the report form is you need it.

Question:
What information are you looking for in questions #3 "How did you know participants achieved or did not achieve these outcomes? (i.e. describe your evaluation and results.)"

Answer:
First, briefly describe how you evaluated your project. Here are some examples:

*         Once a month I documented in a notebook my observations about how well kids in storytime seemed to be learning early literacy skills.

*         At each weekly summer reading activity I took photos to document family engagement.

*         We distributed a survey to everyone at the end of summer reading party.

Second, briefly describe the results of your evaluation. Here are some examples:

*         Looking through my observation notebook, I noticed that as the year went on more and more kids were able to complete rhymes, identify some letters by name, and draw more detailed pictures. However not as many kids were able to retell a simple story in chronological order.

*         Looking back through the pictures, I notice that most people attended contracted performances with family members, but most kids participated in the staff-led activities without adults or older siblings.

*         30 completed surveys were returned. 12 said their child read more, 12 said their child read the same amount, and 6  said their child read less than usual as a result of participating in the summer reading program.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
Katie
Katie Anderson, Library Support and Development Services

[StoryTime_GrandeRonde.png]<http://storytimeoregon.com/community-partners/partner-downloads/>
Become a StORytime<http://storytimeoregon.com/community-partners/become-a-partner/> partner!