[Revenews] PayrollTax News LISTSERV Jan 2012

TAVARES Cathleen M cathleen.m.tavares at state.or.us
Thu Jan 19 11:43:50 PST 2012

  PayrollTax News LISTSERV: iWire Update
Jan. 2012
Please be sure to send this to anyone who would benefit from this information

I. Important iWire UPDATE:
"iWire Direct", the direct filing option for W2 information, will be available the first week of March. This option will allow small businesses with a small number of W2's to input W2 information directly into our iWire system. Continue to watch the iWire website for further updates and information (http://www.oregon.gov/DOR/BUS/iwire-income-wage-information-return-eservices.shtml)

II. Frequently Asked questions regarding iWire:
1. Are all businesses now required to submit their W2's electronically? I am not required to do so for federal purposes.
A. Even if you are not required to submit W2's electronically for federal purposes, you are still required to submit your W2's for Oregon.  This includes employers with as few as one or two W2's.
2. Are household employers also required to submit W2's electronically?
A. Yes.
3. I assume that this eliminates the Form WR (Withholding Annual Reconciliation Report)?
A. No, you are still required to submit the paper WR for 2011. The WR is also due March 31st
4. Where do I register to submit my W2's electronically?
A. You do not need to register with Oregon like you do with the SSA (Social Security Administration). If you use the" iWire Direct" option, you'll simply be asked to supply your information before inputting your W2's.
5. Can't I just print off the information when I submit my W2's online through the SSA and then send the PDF file to you?
A. No, iWire is not designed to process PDF files. The file must be a text (.txt) file if you are not using iWire Direct to manually enter the W2's.
6. I heard that we are also required to submit 1099's electronically. I only have 3 1099's. Do I send these electronically? Do I also send in the 1096(the 1099 Federal Reporting form)?
A. No, only employers who have 250 or more of any one type of 1099 (1099R, 1099MISC, 1099 G & W2G) need to submit electronically this year. You do not need to submit the paper 1099's or send in the 1096 form. Simply include this information on your 2011 WR form and keep the copies for your records in case we ask for them later.
7. Will you also have the direct file options for 1099's as well?
A. Yes, we plan to have that option available by the time smaller companies will be required to submit their 1099's electronically.
8.  My software doesn't include the RV record where do I need to put this record within the file?
 A. The RV record must be included in the file right before the RF record.
9. My software vendor allows me to print a W2 transcript/file; can I use this to file my W2's electronically with DOR?
A. No, this transcript/file will not work; you should use the direct file option.

The Payrolltax-News e-mail list provides employers with complete and up-to-date payroll tax information. Employers can self-subscribe here<http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/mailman/listinfo/payrolltax-news>. Representatives in the Business Division will send information to employers through this list. Employers can request additional information by e-mailing payroll.help.dor at state.or.us<mailto:payroll.help.dor at state.or.us>.

As a standard practice, e-mail sent from the department will be in text form only. Department of Revenue will not open attachments.

Questions about list content and subscription problems should be directed to the list owner:

Cathy Tavares
Oregon Dept of Revenue
Cathleen.M.Tavares at state.or.us<mailto:Cathleen.M.Tavares at state.or.us>