[Revenews] E911 Emergency Communication Tax Changes

STOENNER Barbara Y * DOR Barbara.Y.STOENNER at oregon.gov
Wed Sep 30 11:21:59 PDT 2015

Starting October 1, 2015, Oregon state law requires sellers of prepaid wireless telecommunications products and services (prepaid wireless) to collect the Enhanced 911 (E911) excise tax. Typical retailers of prepaid wireless include convenience stores, big box stores, supermarkets, telecommunications kiosks, and direct on-line retailers. This October, these retailers must begin collecting a tax of $0.75 per transaction from their customers. Retailers must then report prepaid wireless sales and pay the E911 tax to the Oregon Department of Revenue quarterly. The first quarterly returns will be due February 1, 2016. If you work with retailers who offer prepaid wireless, you will be doing them a great service reminding them of this new responsibility.

We have tried to identify and contact all prepaid wireless retailers, but a word from you will be helpful if we missed one of your clients. Please see E911 Emergency Communication Tax<http://www.oregon.gov/DOR/BUS/pages/ic-603-625.aspx> for more detailed information. If you or your clients have questions, please contact us at spa.help at oregon.gov<mailto:spa.help at oregon.gov>.

Thank you for your assistance.

Barbara
Barbara Y Stoenner
Policy and Systems Analyst 3
Special Programs Administration
Oregon Dept. Of Revenue
503 983 5257
barbara.y.stoenner at oregon.gov<mailto:barbara.y.stoenner at oregon.gov>

Confidentiality Notice: This email may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the addressee or it appears from the context or otherwise that you have received this email in error, please advise me immediately by replying email, keep the contents confidential, and immediately delete the message and any attachments from your system. Thank you for your cooperation in advance.