[Revenews] Additional Information - Driver's License and E-file

DENISON Megan C * DOR Megan.C.DENISON at oregon.gov
Wed Feb 1 14:59:55 PST 2017

Good afternoon Practitioners,

We have received numerous questions regarding the request for driver's license information for e-filed returns.

Oregon is requesting that taxpayers provide valid driver's license or state ID information as a way to better validate identities and prevent tax refund fraud through identity theft. Providing driver's license information is not required but return processing could be delayed if it is not provided.

E-file software products should provide three choices. You must choose one or the return will reject.

1.    Driver's License

2.    State Issued Identification

3.    No License or Identification

If Driver's License or State Issued Identification is chosen, all four of these items must be provided or the return will reject.

1.    License/ID number

2.    License/ID state

3.    License/ID issue date

4.    License/ID expiration date

Questions and Answers

Q1. If the return is being filed jointly, do I need to provide both the primary and the secondary taxpayer's license/ID information?
A1. The secondary filer's information is also helpful, but the primary filer's information is the most important.

Q2. If my client is known to have a valid driver's license or state-issued ID, but chooses not to disclose it, can I check the no license or identification box without repercussion?
A2. If your client chooses not to share this information, you can check the no license or identification box without repercussion.

Q3. Is there a difference in refund processing time for a return that includes the driver's license or state-issued ID information from one that does not?
A3. We use the driver's license and state-issued ID information as an additional way to validate the taxpayer and deter fraud. If the return doesn't include this information, that alone will not cause a delay. However, if all efforts to validate the taxpayer are unsuccessful, your client's refund may be delayed.

We have heard from some practitioners that their software does not provide them the option to enter the driver's license information. We ask that you make sure that there isn't a setting in your software that is defaulting to No License or Identification. Absent that, please email electronic.filing at oregon.gov<mailto:electronic.filing at oregon.gov> with the name of your software product. Based on emails from you all, we have already reached out to Drake and Lacerte.

The information above will be posted on the e-file page on our website soon: https://www.oregon.gov/DOR/programs/individuals/Pages/individuals-e-filing.aspx