[yscon] Advice for Making Big SRP Changes

King-Oaks, Krista (KDLA) Krista.King-Oaks at ky.gov
Mon Dec 18 11:24:19 PST 2017

Danielle,

Like Ohio, our agency also pays for CSLP membership and only this year, began to purchase CSLP manuals (via USB) for each library system (not building) IF they completed an evaluation survey of their summer reading program. I began offering this incentive since no complete data set for SRP is captured by our annual report, and therefore, requires more staff time and organization on the end of the responding libraries. Even though I am much later in getting the manuals distributed as planned, this seems to have been appreciated anecdotally, though I did not see an increase in response to the survey; in fact, responses decreased this year, despite the incentive and reducing the number of survey questions.

As you alluded to, we would never be able to provide direct funding to libraries for purchase of program materials or hiring of performers because of laws involving procurement...It's difficult enough to get a nationally known trainer approved for a workshop once every couple of years! Instead, we do house a Performer Directory on our website, which was recently redesigned to only take positive referrals, per the request of our legal team. All referrals are submitted by public library staff and moderated by myself and our web master, so other than occasionally promoting the resource, it does not take a lot of staff time or effort: https://kdla.ky.gov/librarians/programs/performershowcase/Pages/default.aspx.

Additional financial support comes in the form of providing continuing education experiences, and this has changed from year to year based on our budget and responding to what I believe to be the needs or staff or larger national trends. I always do a mix of virtual and in-person training, thought in-person is more time intensive. The in-person training is conducted in the form of both smaller, regional workshops, as well as cooperative all-day workshops in tandem with our state library conference:

*         In the last couple of years, I have went from hosting 16 regional workshops a year - 8 in the fall and 8 in the spring - to only 8 this past fall. No workshops will be held in the spring, due to lack of interest and conflicts with our state public library conference. Recently, our administrative regions were reduced to 4 (from 8) so I am currently rethinking these meetings. Overall, I coordinate the meetings by finding host libraries, creating an agenda, and attending all meetings to facilitate discussion. All workshops are round-robin style and provide an opportunity for libraries to share their best programs, performers, and hands-on activities. By the first of the year, I will curate notes and "best practices" from theses workshops as a resource on our agency's summer reading support website: https://kdla.ky.gov/librarians/programs/summerreading/Pages/default.aspx

*         Before I joined the agency, there had been a history (over about 4-5 years?) of our agency hosting an annual summer reading workshop. When I joined, that conference got rolled into one which also supported bookmobile and outreach staff...then budget reductions began. I took this an opportunity to; we no longer hosted a separate conference, but instead sponsored a one-day SRP workshop at the state of our state library association conference in September. Due to the scope of the conference, we were able to also pull in school library staff, which opened up opportunities for those willing to participate. I have done this for the past couple of years to mixed success, but none every saw as much registration as did our own, stand-alone SRP conference. This last year was more successful as I was able to get speakers for free, and instead, use financial resources to provide incentives in the form of textbooks and manipulatives for all attendees (50 total).

All that being said, I am exploring the option of returning to a stand-alone conference, though I prefer it to be a youth services conference, with summer reading being but one aspect of the content. However, budget reductions were just announced again (another 20%) so not sure how that will impact our plans...

Thanks for sticking through my long email. Best of luck! Be brave. Be bold. Don't be afraid to try something new!

~Krista

Krista King-Oaks
Youth Services Consultant
Library Development Branch
Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives<http://kdla.ky.gov/Pages/default.aspx>
300 Coffee Tree Road
Frankfort, KY  40601
(502) 564-1739
krista.king-oaks at ky.gov<mailto:krista.king-oaks at ky.gov>
KDLA supports School Ready Libraries<http://kdla.ky.gov/librarians/programs/Pages/SchoolReady.aspx>
[twitter]<https://twitter.com/KDLALibDev>[facebook]<https://www.facebook.com/KDLACE>

Services provided by the Library Development Branch of KDLA are
funded in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
[imls]