[yscon] FW: Diversity and Inclusion Statement for Committees?

Rockwell, Jasmine K jasmine.rockwell at ncdcr.gov
Tue Jun 26 08:05:33 PDT 2018

Hi all,

I am not on our state committee as of right now, so I contacted a colleague who is to get see if there was anything in their guidelines. While there isn't anything about committee diversity they do have a statement on book selection:

  *   We have no control over the books that are nominated, but we should consider diversity among our finalists. (Diversity in genre, race, religion, format, gender, etc.)

One other interesting thing about the North Carolina Children's Book Awards is that all nominations are submitted by kids (could be with some help from their school or public librarian). The committee does read everything and narrow the nominations down to what they feel are the top 10 picture books and top 8 junior books.

Best,

Jasmine

[cid:image001.png at 01D40C85.3C34E470]Jasmine Rockwell

Youth Services Consultant

NC Dept. of Natural and Cultural Resources

919.807.7425  |  jasmine.rockwell at ncdcr.gov<mailto:jasmine.rockwell at ncdcr.gov>

109 East Jones Street  | 4640 Mail Service Center

Raleigh, North Carolina 27699-4600

Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/NorthCarolinaCulture>  Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/ncculture>  Instagram<http://www.instagram.com/ncculture>  YouTube<http://www.youtube.com/ncculture>  Website<https://statelibrary.ncdcr.gov/>

Email correspondence to and from this address is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.