[gis_info] large format printer versus plotter?

Michele Long michele.l.long at state.or.us
Fri Dec 3 08:48:22 PST 2010

I could use some feedback - I have been pushing for a plotter for our
office and have now been asked to provide info on the price of a "good
one" and all associated software/accessories.  My thoughts were going
towards an HP Designjet brand, but not sure which series would suit
best.  We would use it mostly for printing maps, signs and occasional
posters.  Will not get heavy use (daily) for mapping.  We would use it
for graphics that we haven't been able to do on the normal desktop
printers.  We only have color on our desktop printers, so no large
format color printing right now.  We may make more maps once we get a
plotter, but costs are an issue.

Basically - I would like to keep paper and ink costs reasonable.  Is
there much choice for map size printers with cost effectiveness on ink
and paper?  I know others who have plotters and their ink costs are
ridiculous and they go through a lot if both ink and paper.  Is there a
printer that can print both roll and single sheet, to save on paper?

Interested in your thoughts/suggestions.

Michele Long

ODFW North Coast Watershed District

4907 Third St., Tillamook, OR 97141

(503) 842-2741 ext 237