[gis_info] Input on new plotter selection

AALBERS Steven AALBERS.Steven at deq.state.or.us
Thu Aug 25 17:20:03 PDT 2011

This is a general request to the group for experience with plotters that are now in service or that are relatively new. The HP DesignJet 1050C plotter at DEQ Headquarters is approaching retirement having served us all well for many (13+) years.  However, the various noises it generates now require it be shut down when a human  working in the same room.   I have explored repair costs and replacement parts but, even if a repair is accomplished,  this dependable workhorse is having problems handling the graphics intensive tasks we now ask of it.

So, I am looking for input on a replacement machine.  We use our plotter for anything from small (ANSI A size) to large (generally ANSI E size) maps,  posters for presentations, conference posters, and occasionally banner-sized projects.   It is not generally used for high volume production work.   I have been looking at a couple of HP plotters but I am interested in the collected knowledge and experience of this group.

Would you share what works (or doesn't) about your plotter and any ideas in general about plotters?  Any information on and experiences with other plotters will be welcomed as I continue the process selecting a replacement.

Thanks!

Steven Aalbers, Information Coordinator/GIS
Drinking Water Protection
Oregon DEQ/Water Quality Division
811 SW Sixth Ave., Portland, OR 97204-1390
Phone: 503-229-6798
WQ GIS Lab.;  503-229-6883
FAX; 503-229-5408
Email; aalbers.steven at deq.state.or.us