[kids-lib] Oregon Battle of the Books: Registration, book grants, title nominations

Korie Jones Buerkle korie.buerkle at newbergoregon.gov
Sat Oct 3 17:59:25 PDT 2020

This year Oregon Battle of the Books will not host Regional or State competitions, however schools/public libraries who register to hosts teams will receive official questions.

You can register by October 31st here ($25 for OLA members): https://ola.memberclicks.net/index.php?option=com_mcform&view=ngforms&id=2055582#/

If you are participating in OBOB you can apply for a set of OBOB books through the grant here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FK6NRSZ

Please help OBOB select excellent titles for the 2021-2022 OBOB year by nominating titles for grades 3-12 here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd5WVfXGvXJlITBhlRolr2DIp-z2lVpxQjMl7tX7M53yOIm1g/viewform

OBOB and my public library programming:

Under normal circumstances, for my community in Newberg our schools support OBOB and I don’t feel a need to host teams. However, this year we are hosting elementary and middle school teams since so many of our students are schooling in different ways, and not all of our schools will likely participate this year. For context our library is open limited hours (12-6, Tues.-Sat.) and our programming for OBOB will be via Zoom. I'm planning on Zoom OBOB book clubs for elementary students (middle school students if there's interest) some informational Zoom meetings for students/parents, and Zoom battles for our teams and district-wide for elementary and middle school teams. In our battles on Zoom each question will go to only one team, so there will be no "stealing questions" since teams will not be meeting in person, but as individuals on Zoom.

If you have plans for OBOB at your public library I would love to hear what you are up to!

Take care,

Korie

Korie Jones Buerkle
Assistant Library Director | Children’s Librarian

Newberg Public Library

Office: 503 554 7734 | Children’s Desk: 503 537 0304

She, her, hers