[Libs-Or] Charging for Interlibrary loans

Jim Knutson tintin at exchangenet.net
Wed Apr 7 23:12:06 PDT 2010

Charging for Interlibrary loansI was the ILL person (and all of tech services) in a small academic library in Iowa for six years. We never charged anyone for ILL, but I think that is common among academic libraries, eh?

More to the point -- I think I remember having to pay, as a patron, like, the postage to a public library for ILLs (what they knew the return postage would be). I can't remember whether they factored in envelope cost, or not.

Basic point: seems like the ILL fee was centered around postage cost

Just my memory on this question.

I'm a Corvallis resident/user of Corvallis Public, so I'm interested in this! <grin> Yup. After reading in the local paper about the state of city finances, I'd been wondering how the library was gonna be hit. Public libraries are usually (maybe not in Corvallis) the first services to be dispensed with during money crunches. "It's just a library. They don't need to be open that much. They don't need all those employees." Etc. (Unlike Corvallis, I lived in a city where not one city councilperson had a library card. Whew.)

Jim Knutson