[Libs-Or] New book available to ILL from State Library: Building the Gigabit City: A Planning Guide

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Thu May 16 13:47:00 PDT 2013

The following new title is available from the Oregon State Library.

[http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-BN46F3L0eTw/UZVDcp8pnAI/AAAAAAAAAOg/zPhqvIjxFrQ/s1600/BuildGig.jpeg]<http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-BN46F3L0eTw/UZVDcp8pnAI/AAAAAAAAAOg/zPhqvIjxFrQ/s1600/BuildGig.jpeg>

Settles, C. (2013). Building the Gigabit City: A Planning Guide. Smashwords, Inc.
This is an eBook. Click here to read now<http://catalog.willamette.edu/record=b2314909%7ES2>!

Superfast broadband significantly boosts local economies, transforms education, improves healthcare delivery and increases local government efficiency. Building the Gigabit City helps you ask the right questions so you can do the same for your constituents.

Pulling valuable lessons from many of the 340 communities with successful broadband networks, this multimedia guide overflows with practical advice. Building the Gigabit City, produced in partnership with Gigabit Squared, helps rural and urban communities:

1) ignore the hype surrounding gigabit networks;
2) understand what super-fast access can and cannot do for your community;
3) conduct effective needs assessment; and
4) plan effective broadband strategy.

Success breeds success. Community leaders and project teams running successful broadband projects inform and motivate readers with insights on planning, funding, building, operating and marketing highspeed Internet access and services. U.S. communities from coast to coast are interviewed.

>From a multimedia array of interviews, panel discussions, keynote presentations and first-hand experience, readers pick up valuable insights on:

* nine possible community broadband business models;
* six options for funding community broadband;
* building consensus among stakeholders;
* cultivating effective partnerships;
* overcoming or proactively addressing political adversity; and
* creating winning broadband strategies.

Building the Gigabit City is broadband industry analyst Craig Settles' first e-book. For over 25 years his workshops and consulting services have helped organizations worldwide use technology to cut costs, improve operations and increase revenue. Numerous books, blog and in-depth analysis reports have established Mr. Settles as a prominent thought leader on executing broadband strategies. He currently hosts Gigabit Nation, a weekly Internet radio talk show. (book description)

Be sure to check out our Library and Information Science (LIS) blog (http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/) to discover the most recent additions to our LIS collection and search our catalog (http://oregon.gov/OSL/index.shtml) for our complete holdings. The library science collection is meant to support the whole Oregon library community.  The Library Development Division welcomes your suggestions for acquisitions - see the blog for an input form or email us!

This collection is funded with LSTA funds administered by the Oregon State Library.

[cid:image003.jpg at 01CE4751.8A8D6B50]<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/Pages/youthsvcs/oregon.srp.certificate.aspx>
Summer Reading 2013 at Oregon libraries<http://libdir.osl.state.or.us/>!
Find a summer food site<http://www.summerfoodoregon.org/>.