[Libs-Or] You (and Your Patrons) Can Change the World!

Sue Ludington Sue_Ludington at co.washington.or.us
Fri Apr 10 10:41:36 PDT 2015

Hey reference desk staffers,
Ever had a patron come up to you, all disgruntled about a particular municipal ordinance or saying "there oughta be a law" over some perceived injustice?

It's great to commiserate over shared frustration at "the Man" but even better is understanding how everyday citizens can make a difference and enact real change in their communities!

Come to our OLA Conference session<http://www.olaweb.org/conference-2015---thursday-conference-sessions> - 11:00am on Thursday, right after you've caffeined up at the exhibits grand opening - to hear from two Oregonians who successfully spearheaded and led changes to local regulations and state laws: Amber Starks<http://www.portlandmonthlymag.com/news-and-profiles/people-and-profiles/articles/portland-s-pioneer-of-natural-hair-care-fought-the-law-and-won-march-2015>, founder of Conscious Coils<http://www.consciouscoils.com/> and driving force behind the Natural Hair Act, and Shane Bemis<http://greshamoregon.gov/city/city-departments/mayor-and-city-council/meet-the-council/Council.aspx?id=5170>, Gresham City Mayor who worked with City Council to create the city's first rental housing inspection program<https://www.thelundreport.org/content/two-cities-three-approaches-rental-housing-inspections>, ensuring safe living conditions for tenants. Believe me, they have some good stories to tell!

Plenty of time will be reserved for us to chat generally about the lawmaking process and discuss patron resources, and for audience members to share experiences and ask questions.

So join us at "So You Want to Change the World! How to Be a Great Librarian to Your Activist Patrons" and learn how you can offer meaningful assistance to revolutionaries in our libraries (or maybe that's you?)!

Sue Ludington | Washington County Law Library
Chair, Legal Reference Round Table

Morgan Sohl | Driftwood Public Library
Chair, Reference Round Table

Liz Paulus | Cedar Mill Community Library