[Libs-Or] National Geographic - long post

Liz Paulus LizP at wccls.org
Fri Nov 6 10:57:38 PST 2015

In my opinion, I don’t think the general public really knows how this is playing out so fast, nor how media can be easily skewed to another perspective. (Info literacy 101 – we teach it every day at the library, if we’re lucky to get the chance. This is a great example of a teachable moment – but maybe it’s too late already.)

NatGeo has been going this way for a while, but at least until recently the ownership were more connected with the original mission of the society. The brand recognition for the yellow-border cover is so huge (which has been brilliantly leveraged through social media) that regardless of the content, it still carries the gravitas of that 127-year history. My theory is that most people won’t notice, since the rest of the media they consume is cast in this entertainment-based light.
http://www.adweek.com/news/technology/natgeo-remains-king-social-media-jungle-updated-list-top-25-brands-167743

By coincidence, the Tech Services staff just put a new map on my desk, from the most recent issue of NatGeo – “Amazonia – the Human Impact” – which shows credits including the datasets metadata used, funding for the map by nonprofit foundations as well as the Bio Program of the Inter-American Development Bank. I wonder if some of the editors and researchers of the map have lost their jobs, and whether those funders will be working with Nat Geo in the future?  How long will this portal be visible on their website?
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/climate-change/explore-amazonia/#/

As librarians, we try and reflect the interests of our community in our collections. It will be interesting to see how libraries respond to this change in content of a venerable brand.

Liz Paulus
Electronic Resources Librarian / Adult Services

Find us on:
Twitter<http://twitter.com/cedarmilllib> | Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/cmclibrary> | Meetup<http://www.meetup.com/The-Wiser-Society> | Instagram<http://instagram.com/cedarmilllibrary>

[banner]
12505 NW Cornell Road Suite 13