[Libs-Or] [EXTERNAL] Why is it called "placing a hold" and is there a better phrase that you use?

taylorlgkw taylorlgkw at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 16:57:51 PST 2021

Out of curiosity, does anyone say "reserve" instead of "hold?" We use "request" for purchase requests, but I could see reserve working. However, that might be problematic for folks familiar with academic reserves. Cheers,Taylor W. (She/her)SPL, Youth Services Springfield, ORSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Kathleen Veldhuisen via Libs-Or <libs-or at omls.oregon.gov> Date: 12/7/21  10:55 AM  (GMT-08:00) To: Bryan Miyagishima <miyagib at linnbenton.edu> Cc: LIBS-OR at omls.oregon.gov Subject: Re: [Libs-Or] [EXTERNAL] Why is it called "placing a hold" and is there a better phrase that you use? Hi, Brian.We replaced the language "place a hold" with "Request." That's what our links and buttons say, and how we talk about it with patrons.  We do use "place a hold" when talking among staff to distinguish between local holds and resource sharing requests.KathleenKathleen Veldhuisen, Reference Librarian-----------------------------------------------

Chemeketa Community College Library

4000 Lancaster Drive Northeast, Salem, OR 97305

503.399.5203; kathleen.veldhuisen at chemeketa.eduShe/her/hersOn Tue, Dec 7, 2021 at 10:10 AM Bryan Miyagishima via Libs-Or <libs-or at omls.oregon.gov> wrote:This question definitely falls into the non-urgent category. Still, it got me wondering enough that I thought I'd pose it to the Borg. We're beginning to use our ILS for students to make equipment reservations for next term and I'm trying to come up with language to help explain the process to students. It seems to me that for the one transaction that many students will have with our library it doesn't make any sense to use library jargon. Moreover, we actually use "place hold" in a very negative way here at the college; our business office sends out communiques that say, "we will place a hold on your account if you do not pay by X date." Does anyone actually know the origins of "placing a hold," and, how do you like to explain it to patrons when all your ILS buttons and documentation say "place hold?"Hope you're having a great Tuesday!Bryan Miyagishima, Linn-Benton Community College Library