[Libs-Or] [EXTERNAL] Why is it called "placing a hold" and is there a better phrase that you use?

Steph Miller stephaniem at multcolib.org
Wed Dec 8 06:29:12 PST 2021

Interesting question - the word "hold <https://multcolib.org/holds>" is
used at all of the public libraries I've worked at - I'm gonna say
something slightly controversial: assuming folks start and end their
library lives via public libraries in the US, would academic and special
libraries benefit from using similar terminology and advocate internally
for language change?
Another lens to consider is students from different cultures
that offer libraries - at MCL, we have staff with language and
cultural competencies responsible for translating wording into Spanish
<https://multcolib.org/es/holds>, Chinese
<https://multcolib.org/zh-hans/holds> (Simplified), Russian
<https://multcolib.org/ru/holds> and Vietnamese
<https://multcolib.org/vi/holds> (along with a dedicated Translation
Coordinator, which recognizes the importance of reaching our communities
where English is not spoken or the primary language) - if you click on each
link, they will go to the corresponding Holds page with similar info as the
first link I provided above in English. If you Google Translate
<https://www.google.com/search?q=google+translate> the title of each page,
you'll notice the English translations are other words (Advanced loan,
Reservation, Pre-order Materials, Bookings).
I believe this question needs to be considered from the
patron/student/community perspective and that organizations need to be
responsive to community needs in order to remain relevant and supportive,
especially to those community members more likely to experience
marginalization by a white supremacy culture.
Bryan, again, thanks for this interesting discussion topic - it feels good
to discuss chunks of these big picture topics with colleagues around the
state!
Steph

*Steph Miller, MLS
<http://aims.fao.org/activity/blog/five-laws-library-science-detailing-principles-operating-library-system>she/they
pronouns*
https://multcolib.org/tech-classes  <https://multcolib.org/tech-classes>

*Public Training LibrarianTechnology Training Team Co-Chair*
*Adult Learning Department*
*Steward*
Multnomah County Library <http://www.multcolib.org/>
My schedule: Sun - Thu