[Libs-Or] Library Broadband stories - OLA needs your help!

OLA President olapresident at olaweb.org
Fri Jan 28 16:09:03 PST 2022

As part of its legislative agenda for 2022, OLA is supporting HB 4092
<https://olis.oregonlegislature.gov/liz/2022R1/Measures/Overview/HB4092>.
Section
6 of this bill establishes the Connecting Oregon Libraries Fund
<https://ola.memberclicks.net/assets/Legislative/Jan%202022%20-%20OLA%20E-rate%20one-pager%20%288%20x%2010%20in%29.pdf>
, a state E-rate fund to supplement federal E-rate funding. The state fund
would help maximize the discounts for internet connectivity and network
infrastructure currently available to eligible Oregon libraries.

We will be providing more information about this bill and other legislative
issues as the 2022 Oregon Legislative Session
<https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/Pages/session.aspx> gets underway in
February, but we need your help now!

To help prepare testimony for a public hearing on February 2, the OLA
Library Development and Legislative Committee (LDLC) needs stories from
libraries about broadband projects. These stories will be incredibly
helpful in our advocacy effort with legislators as we talk about the
benefits of having reliable, fast internet to meet community needs.

Do you have a broadband infrastructure project you’ve completed using
E-Rate?  If so, please share:

   -

   Your library address where the project took place,
   -

   A paragraph summary of the project (please include the benefit for
   library staff and the community at large),
   -

   The cost to complete the project, and
   -

   The E-Rate discount you received.

Do you have a broadband infrastructure project in mind? If so, please share:

   -

   Your library address where the project would take place,
   -

   A paragraph summary of the proposed project (please include an
   explanation for the need for the broadband upgrade to support staff and the
   community),
   -

   Your current broadband speeds,
   -

   An estimated cost to complete the project, if available, and
   -

   Any barriers to accessing E-Rate funds to help with the project you
   foresee.

Please share your stories with LDLC co-chairs at ldlcchair at olaweb.org! We
can help get your story known by reaching out to your local legislators
about these projects.

--
Arlene Weible
Oregon Library Association President, 2021-2022
olapresident at olaweb.org