[Libs-Or] Let Freedom Read

CORNELISEN Wendy * SLO Wendy.CORNELISEN at slo.oregon.gov
Wed Oct 4 17:56:54 PDT 2023

As we hit the half-way mark of Banned Books Week, I want to take a moment to say thank you.

Your dedication to intellectual freedom shows itself in so many ways. You are doing the hard work, fighting for the rights of others. You are the helpers, making sure there is access to resources that make people feel acknowledged, enlightened about their own experiences, and have the chance to learn about the experiences of others. Oregon is not immune to censorship or attacks on library workers. In this current climate things feel (and sometimes very much are) especially personal. I'm grateful for your resolve.

Remember that we're not alone. We have allies, advocates, and believers on our side. From students and teachers to Judy Blume and LaVar Burton to Pen America and the National Coalition Against Censorship<https://ncac.org/news/blog/guidelines-school-officials>. The information these groups help gather bolster our case, both at the national and state level. The Oregon Intellectual Freedom Clearinghouse Report<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/ld.php?content_id=73171120> offers some glimmer of good news: even with a record number of titles challenged, the vast majority stayed on the shelf.

In the midst of this fight, please make sure to take care of yourself. Extend that same compassion to your colleagues. Together we can make sure the library stays a place where knowledge and ideas are celebrated.

Thanks,

Wendy

Wendy Cornelisen (she, her, hers)
State Librarian
State Library of Oregon
wendy.cornelisen at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:wendy.cornelisen at slo.oregon.gov>
Office: 503-378-4367| Mobile 971-375-3992
www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>
[Title: State Library of Oregon]