[or-roots] "The Dickson Train" & 23 wagons starting from Keokuk, Iowa

Nancy Lee Adams nancydean at columbia-center.org
Sat Aug 13 13:36:53 PDT 2005

 Hi Dorothy,

Yes, Hanson & Lavina (Wickard) Stevens were the only one (family) from the
Dickson Train" who made it to Oregon in 1852. There were 23 wagons in this
train, but not all related. Started out from Iowa. Stevens were not related
to the other wagons (22) as far as I know.

I have another ggg-grandfather (McCubbins) who came to Marion Co., Oregon
abt. Oct. 9, 1852 & settled very close to the Stevens Family at Howell
Prairie/Silverton, Marion Co Oregon also. Not sure on the name of there
wagon train or there wagon master either. They came on a different wagon
train from Franklin Co., Missouri.

I was told when the wagons came west on the trail that sometimes the oldest
family member would take the lead & be the captain or one who was familiar
with fighting (wars), being able to handle a gun & fight off Indians or etc.
& would be good at being the captain of the train..

Thanks! Nancy