[or-roots] "The Dickson Train" & 23 wagons starting from Keokuk, Iowa

kat1928 at integrity.com kat1928 at integrity.com
Sat Aug 13 13:53:31 PDT 2005

Quoting Nancy Lee Adams <nancydean at columbia-center.org>:

>  Hi Dorothy,
>
> Yes, Hanson & Lavina (Wickard) Stevens were the only one (family) from the
> Dickson Train" who made it to Oregon in 1852. There were 23 wagons in this
> train, but not all related. Started out from Iowa. Stevens were not related
> to the other wagons (22) as far as I know.
>
> I have another ggg-grandfather (McCubbins) who came to Marion Co., Oregon
> abt. Oct. 9, 1852 & settled very close to the Stevens Family at Howell
> Prairie/Silverton, Marion Co Oregon also. Not sure on the name of there
> wagon train or there wagon master either. They came on a different wagon
> train from Franklin Co., Missouri.
>
> I was told when the wagons came west on the trail that sometimes the oldest
> family member would take the lead & be the captain or one who was familiar
> with fighting (wars), being able to handle a gun & fight off Indians or etc.
> & would be good at being the captain of the train..

Nancy;

> Thanks! Nancy

Nancy:

Your Stevens family may have joined in with another train comming through.
Quite often that happened.

My POwell families had another train join them.  It was the Hunter train.  I can
find no record of the Powell train (about 50 wagons) and I am trying to find
something on the Hunter train.  That way one knows about what our families
experienced along the way.  You might try that.

I am writing a historical novel about the Powells travel to Oregon Territory and
I'd like to have more than what I have to make the book interesting.  A lot has
to be fabricated to glue the facts and dates together.

The Powells came over the trail, branched out onto the Barlow Trail to Oregon
City (where I live) and then up the Willamette River to Linn County, Oregon.

Howell Prairie is beautiful farming country.  Sam Barlow , who built the Barlow
Trail, lived a little north of there.  Linn County is quite a bit south of
Howell Prairie.

I can take a picture of Howell Prairie area for you if you'd like.  It wouldn't
look like in the 1800's but you could see the terrain.

Talk Later;

Dorothy