[or-roots] Pacific Typhoon-Columbus Day Storm

Lorraine Works lworks at molalla.net
Sun Jan 8 20:09:15 PST 2006

My father was a broadcast engineer for KGW TV in Portland.  He was working the night of the storm when the tower came down,  the support wires crushed his new 1962 ford.
 At home we spent the storm in the basement babysitting my cousin while his parents shopped downtown.  His parents got separated, my uncle was held at Meier & Frank as the locked the doors so no one could leave. My aunt was in another store.
I was supposed to go to a formal dance at Cleveland High School that night, It was canceled and not rescheduled.  I worked hard to buy the formal dress and shoes and had nowhere to wear them.  I was not a happy camper.

Lorraine in Oregon